How To Get Ready for a Blind Date in Seven Easy Steps
Getting ready for a blind date can be exciting and a little nerve-wracking. To help you make a good impression, here are seven easy steps to get ready for a blind date:
- Dress appropriately: Choose an outfit that makes you feel confident and comfortable. Consider the location and activity planned for the date. Dress appropriately for the occasion while still expressing your personal style. It’s better to be a little overdressed rather than underdressed. Be conservative. If you’re not sure if an outfit is appropriate or not, stick with something that you know is appropriate. For women, you may have an awesome body, but leave something to the imagination. For men, remember, the blind date is like a job interview for the role of second date or even more. Would you get a job looking like that? If the answer is no, then step it up a notch.
- Personal grooming: Take some time to groom yourself and ensure you look your best. Take a shower, style your hair, and trim or shape any facial hair if desired. Brush your teeth and freshen your breath. Use deodorant or perfume/cologne sparingly.
Why You Should Scent Yourself Sparingly
Using deodorant or perfume/cologne sparingly on a blind date is recommended for a few reasons.
- Sensory overload: Strong or overpowering scents can be overwhelming and distracting for your date. It’s important to remember that everyone has different preferences when it comes to smells, and what you find pleasant might not be the same for your date. Using scents sparingly ensures that your natural scent can still be appreciated, and it allows your date to focus on getting to know you rather than being overwhelmed by a strong fragrance.
- Allergies and sensitivities: Some people have allergies or sensitivities to certain scents. Excessive use of perfumes or colognes can trigger allergies or cause discomfort for your date. By using scents sparingly, you reduce the risk of causing any allergic reactions or discomfort for your date.
- Authenticity: A blind date is an opportunity to present yourself authentically. While it’s important to make a good impression, overwhelming your date with heavy scents may create an artificial or forced image. Using scents sparingly allows your natural scent and personality to shine through, contributing to a more genuine and authentic connection. It’s worth noting that personal hygiene, including wearing deodorant, is essential to ensure that you feel fresh and confident on a date. However, it’s best to choose mild or subtle scents and apply them in moderation, allowing your natural self to be the focus of the interaction.
- Practice good hygiene: Pay attention to your personal hygiene to make sure you feel and smell fresh. Trim your nails, and if you wear makeup, keep it light and natural-looking. Men, make sure that you also clean under your nails and consider a male manicure.
What is a male manicure?
A male manicure is a nail grooming and care service specifically tailored for men. It involves cleaning, shaping, and buffing the nails to enhance their appearance and maintain their health. While the process is similar to a traditional manicure, there are often differences in the techniques and finishes used to suit male preferences.
Here are some key aspects of a male manicure:
Nail trimming: The manicurist will carefully trim your nails to achieve a neat and desired length. They may use clippers or nail scissors to achieve the desired shape.
Nail shaping: The nails will be shaped to your preference, typically rounded or square. The manicurist will use a file to shape and smooth the edges, ensuring a clean and well-groomed appearance.
Cuticle care: The cuticles, the thin layer of skin surrounding the base of the nail, will be gently pushed back, or trimmed to promote healthy nail growth and give a clean look. It’s important to note that excessive cuticle trimming can lead to infections, so most manicurists prefer to push back the cuticles rather than removing them completely.
Buffing and polishing: The nails may be buffed to remove any ridges or imperfections on the nail surface, resulting in a smooth and polished look. Some men prefer a natural shine without using nail polish, while others may opt for a clear polish or a subtle matte finish.
Hand massage: Many male manicures include a hand massage as part of the service. The manicurist will apply moisturizer or hand lotion and massage it into your hands, promoting relaxation and improving blood circulation.
Optional nail polish: While nail polish is more commonly associated with female manicures, some men may choose to have their nails polished with clear or subtle-colored polish for a polished and groomed appearance.
The choice of nail polish is entirely up to personal preference.
A male manicure aims to provide well-groomed and clean nails while maintaining a masculine aesthetic. It’s a service that emphasizes nail health and appearance, and it can be a relaxing and pampering experience for men who wish to maintain their nails’ hygiene and aesthetics. As a bonus, when she feels your hands they’ll be nice and smooth to her touch.
Personal Hygiene – Don’t Underdo It
While we’ve already discussed the importance of not overdoing it, don’t underdo it either. The last thing you want is to forget to apply antiperspirant or deodorant to stay fresh throughout the date. Some busy singles keep a spare travel sized deodorant and/or breath mints in the car in case of an emergency.
- Be punctual: Plan to arrive on time or even a few minutes early to show respect for your date’s time. Being punctual demonstrates your reliability and shows that you value the opportunity to meet them. Remember that traffic in Los Angeles or any other major metropolitan area can be unpredictable. Plan your route in advance, including parking. Keep in mind some parking lots fill up quickly on a weekend evening, so always have a backup parking spot or, conversely, plan to take a ride-share if you know the parking is next to impossible. Time management skills are part of “adulting” and the lack of adult behavior is a serious deal-breaker for most men and women who are generally considered marriage material. Additionally, some urban parking lots only take cash. Having cash handy in a variety of bills, for tipping the valet attendant, paying for a cash-only parking lot, or any other odd emergency is a great idea. Better to over-prepare than under-prepare. You can never be too prepared.
- Relax and calm your nerves: Blind dates can be nerve-wracking, but try to relax and be yourself. Make a list of what you might do. Take a few deep breaths, listen to calming music, or engage in focused activities like Wordle or Sudoku that help you feel more at ease before the date. Remind yourself that it’s an opportunity to have fun and get to know someone new. If you meditate, that is a great way to calm down before a first date. If you’ve never meditated, you can try a guided visualization or hypnosis audio tape on your favorite content subscription, like Spotify, Apple Music, or YouTube. There are also physical postures you can engage in. For example, research shows that when you put your arms up with your hands behind your head, it opens up the whole upper torso and produces neurotransmitters that create a feeling of confidence. Be aware of your body language. Just like smiling can make you feel happy, using the body language of a confident person can make you feel more confident.
But what if you have sweaty palms? Sweaty palms, also known as palmar hyperhidrosis, can be uncomfortable and embarrassing. If this doesn’t affect you skip ahead to the next step, but if it does, read on. While it’s always a good idea to consult with a healthcare professional for a proper diagnosis and treatment options, here are some general tips that may help alleviate sweaty palms:
- Keep your hands clean and dry: Wash your hands regularly with mild soap and water. Dry them thoroughly, especially between the fingers, as moisture can exacerbate sweating.
- Use antiperspirant: Consider applying antiperspirant to your palms. Look for antiperspirants specifically formulated for hands or use regular antiperspirant sprays or roll-ons. Apply them before going to bed for maximum effectiveness.
- Use hand powders: Talcum or cornstarch-based powders can help absorb moisture and reduce sweat. Apply them to your palms to keep them dry throughout the day.
- Wear breathable materials: Opt for breathable, natural fabrics like cotton or bamboo for gloves or mittens. These materials allow better airflow and can minimize sweating.
- Use hand wipes or pads: Carry hand wipes or pads with you to quickly wipe away moisture when needed. Look for products specifically designed to combat sweat and reduce moisture.
- Avoid triggers: Pay attention to situations or activities that make your palms sweat excessively. Common triggers include stress, caffeine, spicy foods, and heat. By avoiding or minimizing exposure to these triggers, you may experience some relief.
- Practice relaxation techniques: Stress and anxiety can contribute to sweaty palms. Engage in relaxation techniques such as deep breathing exercises, meditation, or yoga to help manage stress levels.
- Maintain a healthy lifestyle: A healthy lifestyle can contribute to better overall health, including reduced sweating. Stay hydrated, exercise regularly, and maintain a balanced diet.
- Consider iontophoresis: Iontophoresis is a treatment that uses electrical currents to reduce sweating. This method is commonly used for palm hyperhidrosis. Talk to a dermatologist or healthcare professional to explore this option.
- Consult a healthcare professional: If your sweaty palms are persistent and significantly impact your daily life, it’s advisable to consult a healthcare professional. They can provide a proper diagnosis and recommend additional treatments such as prescription antiperspirants, medications, or even surgical options if necessary.
- Be prepared with conversation topics: It’s natural to feel a bit nervous about making conversation, especially with someone you’ve never met before. Prepare a few conversation topics or questions in advance to help keep the conversation flowing. Ask about their hobbies, interests, or favorite movies and books. Also, be attentive and actively listen to what they have to say. Some examples of “icebreaker” or “conversation starter” questions for your blind date are, “What would you do if you won a billion dollars in the lottery?” “Do you have any pets?” “Do you support any charities?” “Which family member are you closest to?” “What was your parents’ relationship like?” “Who do you talk to the most?” “How would you describe your sense of humor?” “If you were going to write a book, what would the topic be?” “How does where you grew up influence your personality today?” If none of these questions appeal to you, try a brainstorming session where you write non-stop for twenty minutes as many ice-breaker questions as you can think of without judging whether they are good or bad. Then go back later and pick which ones are most interesting. And here’s one that really puts your partner in control of what they want to disclose: “If someone could ask you any question in the world to get to know you better, what would you want them to ask?” They might have to think about it for a while, but when they come up with something, you’ll have gained a key insight to connection.
- Keep an open mind: Remember that the purpose of a blind date is to explore a potential connection. Keep an open mind and be open to the possibilities. Don’t put too much pressure on yourself or your date. Enjoy the experience and see where it leads.
Remember, the most important thing is to be yourself and have a good time. Blind dates can be a great opportunity to meet someone new, so approach the experience with a positive attitude and enjoy getting to know your date.